[Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal] Season 1

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal new 2014 anime

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal is a fresh reboot of the classic 90s magical-girl series. Naoko Takeuchi (the original manga artist) is heavily involved in the new production so the story & characters follow closely to the manga.

It first premiered on 5th July 2014 and streamed simultaneously worldwide online for free via Hulu/Neon Alley, Crunchyroll, AnimeLab and NicoNico. It aired on the first and third Saturday of every month.

Where can I watch Sailor Moon Crystal for free?

You can watch Sailor Moon Crystal online for free and legally here:
Crunchyroll available in the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Latin America (Central & South America including Mexico)
Hulu/NeonAlley – available for US residents
AnimeLabavailable in Australia & New Zealand
Netflix – available in the USA & Canada from July 1 2021
NicoNico* – available worldwide (Subtitled in 12 different languages with the original Japanese audio)

Does ‘Sailor Moon Crystal’ cover the entire series?

There are currently 4 seasons of Sailor Moon Crystal: Classic (Season 1), Black Moon Arc (Season 2), Infinity Arc (Season 3) and Sailor Moon Eternal (2 part movie covering Season 4).

Where can I buy Sailor Moon merchandise?

Visit our Sailor Moon Shopping Guide for links to buy.

Official Trailer:

Act 9 Serenity -Princess
Act 10: Moon
Act 11: Reunion -Endymion
Act 12: Enemy -Queen Metalia
Act 13: Final Battle -Reincarnation

Voice cast:
Sailor Moon/ Usagi Tsukino: Mitsuishi Kotono (reprising role)
Sailor Mercury/ Ami Mizuno: Hisako Kanemoto
Sailor Mars/ Rei Hino: Rina Satō
Sailor Jupiter/ Makoto Kino: Ami Koshimizu
Sailor Venus/ Minako Aino: Shizuka Ito
Luna: Ryo Hirohashi
Tuxedo Mask: Kenji Nojima

Director: Munehisa Sakai
Composer: Yuji Kobayashi
Character Design: Yukie Sakou
Art Director: Takashi Kurahashi/Yumi Hosaka
Music: Yasuharu Takanashi

224 Responses to “[Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal] Season 1”

1. V_Lix July 1, 2014 at 7:15 am #

Yo, check this out ! Someone posted Sailor Moon Crystal’s opening song and transformation scene on YT and I’m going insane now !! x)

Here’s the link :

Someone mentioned that it was apparently aired to celebrate Usagi’s birthday. That’d be very cool if it had been the reason ! ^^

• Chibi Jennifer July 1, 2014 at 1:58 pm #

I refuse to watch it!! XDDDD I don’t want it to be spoiled for me since it will officially air for everyone on the 5th July :) Glad you like it though, makes me so excited for it too :D :D

And yes, it was aired in a special VivI event in Japan which is basically an advanced screening.

• V_Lix July 1, 2014 at 4:32 pm #

Haha I understand though. With July 5th just around the corner it is not a long wait to finally be able to be all over Sailor Moon !

Some people commented that they hate it, but I personally am fine with it. You will see it for yourself soon enough, so hopefully you’ll like it too : )

Aa, no wonder there are so many episode 1 spoiler on YT now. But I am not watching the whole episode now either, just a quick glimpse made me happy haha :[)

• Chibi Jennifer July 1, 2014 at 7:12 pm #

haha yeah! July 5th is so close!! Just a couple more days :) I think the wait will be totally worth it ^^ *fingers crossed*

• V_Lix July 1, 2014 at 7:41 pm #

Oh I’m sure it will be worth it. It has to be lol ! After the long, long wait.. Around a year since the original plan now, is it ? Finally we’re heeerrree ! 8D

• Sailor Ceres July 1, 2014 at 5:35 pm #

I’m kind of sad because the video is private, and I can’t watch it.

• V_Lix July 1, 2014 at 7:36 pm #

Aa yes, perhaps the uploader has changed the video settings or something because I can no longer see it as well… :\

Bright side though, 5th of July is REALLY SOON : ) looking forward to it !

2. Horosha June 5, 2014 at 3:19 pm #

I noticed that as well. Noako used a lot of vertical lines in her characters, making them long limb and more regal appearing, in some ways very much like the bishojo artwork you do find where male characters appear to be slim and feminine in appearance. To some degree you can see it in some of the artwork done by CLAMP and in Fruit Basket as well as some of the yoai ladies manga of the 70s, 80s and 90s. A sort of blurring the line between male and female, a often used technique in several manga series.

3. tsuki no curse June 5, 2014 at 7:40 am #

I feel like the chibi version does have better proportions than original picture. xD

4. Horosha June 2, 2014 at 6:44 am #

What I’m expecting is while the artwork is very much based on the artwork of the anime, I also expecting the story to be using the characters and the story elements of the manga, but in its own way. Remember Naoko was involved through her licensing company in the development of the story and plotline of PGSM live action, which is why the live action was much more similar to the manga than the original anime.
    In fact this seems to be hinted in the title of the first episode of Sailor Moon Crystal. The anime did have a history of giving away the story of the episode in the title, but it is possible this is a red herring.

We shall see

Horosha

“The heart knows no gender, only love.” Minako Aino

• Chibi Jennifer June 2, 2014 at 7:27 pm #

How do we know the title of the first episode? :O Don’t think it’s been revealed yet?

• Horosha June 3, 2014 at 2:42 am #

I might be confusing it with the title for the big costume party that is going to be in Tokyo celebrating the first episode of the new series.

• Chibi Jennifer June 3, 2014 at 8:21 pm #

Ohh right, you mean the vivi party for Usagi’s Birthday~

5. Z Scandana May 12, 2014 at 10:27 pm #

“Premium account holders only”? Are you sure? I REALLY hope that’s not the case…

• Chibi Jennifer May 13, 2014 at 6:07 pm #

Yeha, pretty sure it’s only for premium account holders. However, I’m sure there will be *other* ways to watch it afterwards

6. Andy April 29, 2014 at 12:56 pm #

Just took a gander at the character designs. They look pretty nice, truer to Naoko Takeuchi’s original work, but there’s a freshness, a modern-day air to them that adds to the charm. With regards to my personal favorite, I actually think Mako looks cuter than in the original anime. And I like Ami’s sweater too, it’s, how do I put it, fashionably geeky (or maybe the other way around)… I mean, it does fit her character, but doesn’t stop her looking pretty. In fact, I think it highlights her character.

Also, from what I can see, this one’s going to be more true to the manga, right? In that case, I can’t help but wonder how they will handle the story, because the original anime, the way I see it, expanded a lot upon the manga in order to fit a TV format, and I’m not sure it’ll be good if they go the PGSM route (not that PGSM was bad, I just think it’d be too unoriginal if they handled the plot the same way). Anyway, here’s hoping I won’t have graduate classes at college on July 5 (it’ll be airing at 7 AM in my time zone).

• Chibi Jennifer April 29, 2014 at 1:31 pm #

Yes I agree! I love the modern-day look/feel to it :D Very fresh considering the old anime was made in the 90s. I really like the direction they’re going with this (though the legs/anatomy do look a little strange..? Hopefully that won’t be the case once animated ^^”)

If Sailor moon Crystal does follow closely to the manga, I’m expecting a lot less filler episodes (which will be a huge plus)~ still, I’m all for character development too :) That’s what I loved about PGSM~ that they were able to give all the girls a fair amount of time to shine.

7. Vinny April 28, 2014 at 4:00 pm #

Ok thanks :)

8. Cody Lee Gaylord April 27, 2014 at 7:01 pm #

Aww that sucks all the voices aren’t coming back….

• Bethany 'Rubsy' Talbot April 27, 2014 at 7:52 pm #

Well most of them are retired now XD

• Cody Lee Gaylord April 27, 2014 at 7:53 pm #

True but still xD It may be hard to adjust to. I have high hopes of at least Uranus being the same cause I know her VA still works.

9. Nish Corb April 27, 2014 at 4:24 pm #

so im guessing they’ll tell us what website we can watch it from soon?

10. V_Lix April 27, 2014 at 11:28 pm #

zomg just look through the character designs on your page and I must say I’m quite thrilled ! I was worried that the characters’ designs might heavily resemble that of the manga, because I’m not a big fan of the manga’s art, but the anime’s ? YES PLEASE ! xD (although they sometimes have different style for some episode ^^;)

I also kinda hoped that all the VA would reprise their roles one more time, since I’m fond of their voices, but oh well, hope the new casts can live up to older fans’ expectations : )

Here’s hoping that the series won’t stop until Dark Kingdom’s demise like PGSM was. I would love to see more Saturn haha ^^

• Chibi Jennifer April 28, 2014 at 10:07 am #

YESS!! I looveeeee the new designs so much ^___^ I’m really pleased with them :3
      When they revealed the first images during the live niconico event, I admit I wasn’t sure how I felt about them (the group picture).. but once I saw the character profiles updated on the site I started getting super excited <333

I'm just happy Usagi's VA is back <333 I don't mind a fresh new cast for the other girls, since it is a fresh new reboot. Hopefully they can give the characters much life and energy ^___^

• Vinny April 28, 2014 at 1:32 pm #

I feel exactly the same way! I stayed up late to watch the livestream and when I saw the group picture I had mixed feelings and was a little disappointed that was all we got. But then today when I woke up, I saw the new pics and was immediately won over. They look soooo pretty <3 Do you think we will get a promo before the air date? I'm kind of in love with moonsticks btw :)

• Chibi Jennifer April 28, 2014 at 2:26 pm #

haha Thanks Vinny! ^___^ and yesh… THOSE CHARACTER DESIGNS LOOKS AWESOME :D

I’m pretty sure more will be revealed as the anime air date draws near~ very likely we’ll see a trailer or at least a teaser :D

• V_Lix April 28, 2014 at 7:30 pm #

I knoowww ! The group pic was just kinda… mediocre, I guess ^^; The sailor suits are pretty much similar, although I like Mercury’s missing the shoulder part thingy, and Venus having the chain around her waist just like PGSM : ) But the civilian designs of the girls are so captivating imo. I like Ami’s the most for some reason (people have been mentioning the sweater though, so that might be it XD) it just… fits her sweet image.

Haha fair enough, it is a reboot after all. But I’m glad Mitsuishi Kotono is back–she was my favourite in the original anime. Her voice as Usagi could make me feel all kinds of emotions ^^

NOW I CAN’T WAIT FOR THE NEW ANIME ! So excited, I wish time machines were real !! x)

• Chibi Jennifer April 28, 2014 at 10:01 pm #

hahah yes! Ami-chan looks so sweet in the over sized sweater :3 I really enjoyed all the civilian form images ^_^ And you’re right, apart from mercury’s sleeve and Venus’s chain, the outfits are pretty much the same as the 90s anime.

I also love the new colour scheme, and having Mars have her hair shade purple looks a lot nicer :D You can actually see the individual strands :)

11. Andy April 24, 2014 at 9:23 am #

Getting stoked for this. I only wonder exactly how faithful it’ll be this time around.

• Chibi Jennifer April 25, 2014 at 8:34 am #

Should be pretty faithful since Naoko Takeuchi is heavily involved I hear~

12. Sailor Ninjago April 23, 2014 at 11:12 pm #

Lookin’ forward.Too bad I need to waste my eye sight by reading the subtitles too much ;(

• Chibi Jennifer April 25, 2014 at 8:30 am #

It’s still better than no subtitles :3 Maybe one day if it’s popular they’ll be dubbed versions, though I personally prefer watching it in Japanese with English subs.

13. Jolanda April 21, 2014 at 10:17 pm #

Is she ‘holding’ her Star Seed?
    Just asking.

• Michiko April 22, 2014 at 3:43 pm #

Not a star seed, it’s the Silver Crystal. Though I guess it would be easy to mistake it for a Star Seed.

• Jolanda April 23, 2014 at 1:40 am #

Whoops! Gomen, gomen! XD

• Chibi Jennifer April 23, 2014 at 1:03 pm #

I suppose early on the concept of the Star Seed hasn’t been introduced yet~ so for the purpose of not spoiling the last season, it’s the Silver Crystal and nothing else..*cough* XD

• Chibi Jennifer April 23, 2014 at 1:01 pm #

It’s my understanding that the Silver Crystal is her Star Seed :3 The Silver Crystal seems to take various forms and it also appeared in the ‘R’ movie as a flower :)

• Michiko April 23, 2014 at 4:53 pm #

It could very well be that. I ended up thinking about that when I got up XD
        I don’t think the Silver Crystal was actually explained in depth about whether or not it was Usagi’s star seed.

• Chibi Jennifer April 25, 2014 at 8:29 am #

In Sailor Stars in the episode where Usagi’s Star Seed is taken, the title was “The Silver Crystal is Stolen! Princess Kakyuu Appears” I think that’s a pretty good indication it’s the same thing :)

14. SailorStar9 April 16, 2014 at 1:47 am #

Well, I’m crossing my fingers that it won’t be as awful as Saint Seiya Omega.

15. smithers456 April 12, 2014 at 10:11 pm #

Very cute drawing. :) <3

16. gabrielleandhita April 5, 2014 at 8:27 am #

There’s actually a leak of the trailer 2014 SM if you goggle it >.<

• Chibi Jennifer April 5, 2014 at 8:27 am #

How can you be sure it’s official/legit and not fan made? There’s a lot of unofficial ones…

• gabrielleandhita April 5, 2014 at 8:28 am #

because there is the copyright of Toei animation 2013. but it is not the full intro, it is only like 1 minute tho.

• Chibi Jennifer April 5, 2014 at 8:30 am #

Unfortunately that is fan-made, it’s 100% unofficial.

• gabrielleandhita April 5, 2014 at 8:33 am #

ah ic, thanks for confirming it. It’s good to wait for the surprise of the new official Sailor Moon trailer =).
            I love your comic strips, they really make my day. How long have you been doing this? Keep it up! =D

• Chibi Jennifer April 5, 2014 at 8:34 am #

No problem! ^___^

5 Years now actually ^^

17. Star Lights Lover April 4, 2014 at 3:10 pm #

Can’t wait sailor moon is my favorite anime/manga of all time so I am super happy!!

18. TheOneandOnlyGeek April 4, 2014 at 10:51 am #

Finally. It was supposed to come out last Summer.

19. MaxHD2490 April 1, 2014 at 11:06 pm #

having Crystal in the title is nice and sounds pretty too.

20. Crystal March 24, 2014 at 9:26 am #

I’m kind of new to the video streaming process, does anyone know if Sailor Moon Crystal will stream free, or do you need to pay to watch it? I don’t mind paying (especially for Sailor Moon ^^) I just didn’t know what the deal is.

• Chibi Jennifer March 24, 2014 at 10:10 am #

Hi Crystal!
      Unfortunately it’s not known yet whether or not it will be free. Just have to wait for future announcements to be sure. I’m hoping it will be free!

• Leo March 26, 2014 at 6:01 pm #

I think niconico will be streaming the first episode free. At least that is what I THINK the website said. My japanese is not perfect xD….

• Chibi Jennifer March 26, 2014 at 6:35 pm #

hmmm..I don’t recall that being announced ^^”