#9 Haruka & Michiru Gone Wrong

MoonSticks Sailor Moon Comic/Doujinshi #9 - Haruka & Michiru Gone Wrong featuring Haruka Tenou/Sailor Uranus and Michiru Kaiou/Sailor Neptune

Michiru: ~teeeheee~
[[Michiru and Haruka are sitting on a bench at a park]]

Haruka: ~hahahaha~
[[Michiru and Haruka are enjoying themselves, while an adult and child walk pass.]]

Little girl passing by: Mummy! Are those two girls lovers? They look so sweet!
[[Mother looks terrified]]

The mother: No sweetie, they're cousins!
Little girl passing by: What..? Really??
[[Michiru and Haruka look annoyed upon hearing the comment.]]
Little girl passing by: Oh, so they're lesbian cousins! :D

209 Responses to “#9 Haruka & Michiru Gone Wrong”

1. bunnychan July 8, 2010 at 5:47 am #

Their relationship kinda struck me
    I would of been like that if they were actually real life

2. Alana June 28, 2010 at 6:26 pm #

Pretty sure the English dub for their relationship was the dumbest thing ever.
    Again, you made my life. I think I’m filling up on all this giggle/best thing ever feelings, all from reading your clever comics. xD
    One of my favourite episodes is when everyone is going crazy over Haruka, only for her to be a boy at the end of it all. Harula is general is win.

• Chibi Jennifer June 29, 2010 at 12:08 pm #

Thanks for all your positive comments :D! It’s good to know you find them clever =D

3. Princess Luna June 16, 2010 at 6:58 am #

lol lovers or cousins >.> first two panels were cute but than the kid like broke the moment :P
    last panel Haruka and Michiru looked like they wanted to slap one of them XD

4. Death Rebirth Senshi June 16, 2010 at 5:08 am #

Haruka and Michiru were created only to complete the gay agenda. That was their true mission. However, the U.S. foiled them by making them cousins…
    Or was incest the true plan of the Japanese all along?
    @_@

• Chibi Jennifer June 16, 2010 at 8:10 pm #

Incest? nah, we already have Chibiusa obsessed with her daddy XD

• MoOnPrIncEsS July 11, 2010 at 11:58 am #

hahaahaha lol

5. sailor comet(Elizabeth) June 15, 2010 at 6:59 am #

i love haruka and michiru i started watching sailormoon when i was 5 and even i realized they was lesbiens(my mom didnt realize it which is a good thing because if she did she wuld have propley made me stop watching it)could u make more mini magnas of them thank you
    P.S.why did they make them cousins almost every one who watched knew they was together
    P.S.S.I GET IT KNOW!!!(yeah me)the mom said that because maybe she didnt wont her daughter to know they was together because she doesnt wont her to be a lesbien when she gets older am i right

• Chibi Jennifer June 15, 2010 at 2:10 pm #

For some reason they think exposure to homosexuality can turn them into one @.@?
      It’s not really a choice!

6. SailorUranusFan June 8, 2010 at 12:42 am #

lol i remember i was just like hang on your not cousins i mean your not THAT close to your cousin (i should know because she is reading over my sholder right now and i want to smack her!) (=^_^=)

• sailor comet(Elizabeth) June 15, 2010 at 7:01 am #

im close to my cousin but not that close either i mean for peet sake they was holding hands and crapt it would have been better to make them lesbiens like they was meant to be right

• Chibi Jennifer June 15, 2010 at 2:09 pm #

lol..exactly. 8D

• SailorUranusFan June 15, 2010 at 2:41 pm #

like i said i love my cousins and all but…..i think best friends or something may have been better for the english dub if they didnt want to epose their sexuality but cousins i mean it sounds like their promoting incest!!

• sailor comet(Elizabeth) July 7, 2010 at 1:03 am #

they pritty mutch r

7. Hg April 25, 2010 at 1:52 pm #

Lol, I love the expression in the fourth panel. They’re not amused. :-P
    And yeah, when I was little, I wasn’t buying the cousin idea either, lol.

8. Lucy April 7, 2010 at 8:13 am #

Hahaha, that’s exactly what I thought when I was little! I was like “Oh, okay, they’re lovers.” But then they were all “No, we’re cousins.” THEN I was like “Whoa, whoa. That’s kinda gross. And illegal, isn’t it?” lol Ah they should have just left them as lesbians. But then maybe the show would have been canceled even earlier. D:

9. Sukino January 17, 2010 at 1:00 pm #

Cool thing! :D

So true in the American version, but in the German it is not really a cousin and not really a couple :o)
    I love this comic :)

• Chibi Jennifer January 17, 2010 at 9:17 pm #

hm? Not Cousin or lovers?? What are they…?

XD

Thanks for your comment! ^.^

• Silver Eyes March 11, 2010 at 1:34 am #

In the German version, as far as I remember, there was no real explanation regarding their relationship. They were simply… there, lol.

Which I think is better than calling them cousins. :P

10. vegemoon November 7, 2009 at 1:05 am #

I laughed so hard at this! Well, even if the Mexican dub did kind of hid it, I totally got they were lesbian from the get go the first time I saw it…and I was 12! I didn’t make a big deal about it :P. Funny enough, I think right now it really doesn’t matter if they put it on in the right time format– like adult swim for example. But I think it’s too late for that, since sailor moon is now posted in youtube, veoh, etc. The cat is out of the bag!

• Chibi Jennifer January 17, 2010 at 9:35 pm #

haha, yeah! It’s like all their effort is wasted since everyone will eventually find out (or realise themselves something is fishy!)

11. break_through October 26, 2009 at 1:34 pm #

lol that’s awesome. good play on the north american version!

12. Lt-Settai-Tenshi October 8, 2009 at 9:12 am #

Kissy kissy kissy! Michiru’s face in panel 2 was soo cute > w XD

13. Kibou no Hikari October 3, 2009 at 1:38 pm #

I knew there was going to be one about Haruka and Michiru’s relationship! But I luv them anyway!! They’re like one of the only couples in Sailor Moon that we see a lot of and has a relationship like Usagi and Mamoru’s. The others aren’t really official couples, like for the other senshi… But I absolutely LUV Helios and Chibiusa!! Great job as always!!

• Chibi Jennifer January 17, 2010 at 9:36 pm #

Glad you enjoyed this one! Definitely gotta include one of them, they’re awesome :3

14. Caroline September 26, 2009 at 3:07 pm #

Is Haruka and Michiru are a cousins? I never know that o_o

• Chibi Jennifer September 27, 2009 at 8:51 am #

nah, lol. They’re not cousins in the original but the English Dub labeled them cousins ^^;

15. Nameless August 17, 2009 at 11:17 am #

lol, nice parody and stab at the dub. And perfect choice at that. I always wondered what their faces would look like if they were told they were cousins. ;]

• Chibi Jennifer August 25, 2009 at 7:07 pm #

It’s funny to think anyone would label lesbians as cousins. XD

16. Jo July 29, 2009 at 7:21 am #

I loved it!!! *0*
    so cute! >.<

17. Leo July 25, 2009 at 1:24 pm #

ROFLMAO!!! SO FUNNY! lol i can just see Haruka saying ‘So this is how we became cousins in the dub’

XD

18. Kitty-t June 24, 2009 at 11:29 am #

I love your comic!

19. Peter June 21, 2009 at 12:50 pm #

Oh at first I thought the little girl just started bust-out laughing at them. The mother’s reaction is so funny, totally anime-ish. Michiru looks like she just might get off the chair and do some damage lol.

• Chibi Jennifer June 22, 2009 at 10:06 am #

lol yeah. You’d expect the little girl to be the one immature – laughing and pointing fingers ^^;

20. jade June 8, 2009 at 2:33 am #

the girl’s mom looks funny in the 3rd shot.she looks like she’s going like this >:o

21. maggii June 6, 2009 at 10:19 am #

heh thats funny coz her mum tried to make so they were just cousins insted of lesbiens so her kid wouldnt get idea but she just made it even more 0.o lol

22. DrummerChick June 2, 2009 at 9:49 pm #

I loved this one, the look on Haruka’s face at the end was perfect! ^^

23. Brad May 29, 2009 at 12:39 am #

I hear cousins can now get married in some American states. ;)

24. Sailor Gold Rabbit May 27, 2009 at 8:51 am #

Okay, off-topic, but is anyone else seeing older comments mixed in with new ones?

• Chibi Jennifer May 27, 2009 at 9:10 am #

AH yes, that’s me doing it! I apologise for the weird mixing ups, but I shortened the “threaded comments” so it doesn’t go all weird and break the layout. In other words, instead of having 10 “replies” to one comment, I’ve limited it 5 “replies” so the hierarchy doesn’t turn too small (if that makes any sense). In the future we shouldn’t have this issue anymore :) I’ll see what I can do to make it look neater.

25. Sailor Sun May 27, 2009 at 7:13 am #

For me I used to love H&M since I was a kid, but without having in mind that they are lesbians or whatever. I mean, I don’t think kids will know about that. Plus, even in their conversations (in Japanese) there is that kind of ambiguity, and till now, some people still wonder whether they are lovers or just very close friends. So, I don’t think Haruka and Michiru’s dialog show them obviously as lesbians. And one last thing, if they are cousins, so they are not lovers!!!! I don’t understand such an equation!!!!

• Chibi Jennifer May 27, 2009 at 9:30 am #

I didn’t really get it either when I watched it as a kid- I didn’t even have any clue they were lesbians even though I watched the Cantonese dub, which was uncut! lol. Little innocent us, ehhee.

26. kinki May 27, 2009 at 5:34 am #

This one’s awesome!!! Hahaha XD Very cute and funny!!

27. Brad May 26, 2009 at 11:36 pm #

Just realised there ARE HEAPS of gay characters in the Simpsons. Hypocritical?

• Sailor Gold Rabbit May 27, 2009 at 8:49 am #

See, I’m not so sure. I mean, The Simpsons is aimed at an older demographic unlike Sailor Moon, whose dub was aimed at young children, so they would be allowed to have gay characters, since, ideally, the show would only be viewed by people who can grok (and accept!) the concept of homosexuality, without (in the conservative’s eyes, not in my eyes or the eyes of liberals/leftists) turning them into gays.

• Chibi Jennifer May 27, 2009 at 9:33 am #

Even though a lot of kids watched the Simpsons! I remember back in primary when everyone was saying Simpsons was their favourite cartoon XD When I was a kid, I thought all cartoons were for kids.

• Sailor Gold Rabbit May 27, 2009 at 10:18 am #

So did I, actually. ^_^

• Sailor Sun May 28, 2009 at 7:36 pm #

Me three LOL! Actually everybody around me think in this way and I spend some of my time trying to explain that NOT ALL CARTOONS ARE FOR KIDS! That’s in vain most of the time especially with my mom ^^;; and my best friend when I try to convince her to go to the cinema to watch a cartoon movie with me -__-;

28. Maria May 25, 2009 at 5:04 am #

I was wondering when someone would put up the lesbian/cousin thing. English dubbers shouldn’t switch out some of the originals because chances are, they kids have probably already heard of the topics. So why not just show the world what these kind of things are. It’s not fair to American children to have the same show, but the show be so different from the original.

• Sailor Gold Rabbit May 25, 2009 at 9:09 am #

I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, I think the reason Haruka and Michiru’s relationship wasn’t dubbed is because conservatives, based on certain Bible passages that really shouldn’t be taken seriously (a good rule of thumb for the New Testiment is that if Jesus Himself didn’t say it, don’t take it too seriously), think homosexuality is wrong and immoral. They think that childhood exposure to gays and lesbians will cause a person to choose to be gay, lesbian, bisexual, etc., etc.(even though you don’t choose your sexual orentation, rather you are born with it). So, rather than incur the wrath of the conservatives powers that be, Cloverway and the Cartoon Network just cut it out. ‘Tis a shame, I know.

• Chibi Jennifer May 25, 2009 at 9:13 am #

Does anyone know if this is only in the case of the English dub? I watched the Chinese dub I don’t remember anything being changed from the original either… none of this cousin business.

• Sailor Gold Rabbit May 25, 2009 at 11:03 am #

I’m fairly sure that the English dub was the only dub to take the “cousins” route; however some dubs (like the Italian dub, IIRC) made them “best friends”, the French dub made them battle partners only with Haruka pretending to be a guy and Michiru pretending to be Haruka’s girlfriend, and the German dub just made dialogue between the two a lot more ambigous. I don’t really think Haruka x Michiru would be such a problem in Asain countries, since they seem to be more tolerant of things considered taboo in Western cultures like homosexuality, sexuality in general, nudity, etc., etc.

• Chibi Jennifer May 25, 2009 at 11:17 am #

Oh that’s pretty interesting, never knew about that. They all sound pretty plausible.. especially the one about them pretending to be lovers- i.e it seems more believable they behave the way they do (instead of the English one where it just doesn’t make sense for two cousins to be so intimate). I also prefer the idea of them being vague/ambiguous in their dialogues, as oppose to just denying the relationship overall.

• Sailor Gold Rabbit May 26, 2009 at 10:46 am #

Oh, and the Mexican dub actually retained Haruka and Michiru’s relationship, so…uh…yeah. Puttin’ that out there.

• Sailor Gold Rabbit May 26, 2009 at 11:00 am #

So do I. I mean, the demographic the dub is aimed at isn’t necessarily going to notice vague sexual references, so really, what’s the harm in throwing in an ambiguous lesbian remark in here and there? Besides, if it really and truly got to the point that conservative groups were going to set of Optimum Productions ablaze and kill everyone who ever had an affiliation with the production of the dub over those little bitty pseudo-homoerotic comments that half the people watching won’t even notice(I’m not a conservative- can you tell?), CWi and Cartoon Network could always do what Sesame Workshop does when people accuse Bert and Ernie of being gay: insist that they’re not. Of course, that could just be as bad as flat-out denying the relationship in the dub itself. *sigh* I guess English speaking countries (as a whole) can’t appreciate the sheer, awesome reality that is Haruka x Michiru.

• Sailor Gold Rabbit June 9, 2009 at 8:43 am #

Sorry about going off topic (I’m really bad at staying on topic), but was the Chinese dub only in Cantonese, or was there a Mandarin dub as well?

• Chibi Jennifer June 9, 2009 at 10:02 am #

I’m not sure about a Mandarin dub… but I just assume there would be.. but I haven’t seen it or know anything about it.

29. CyCyN May 24, 2009 at 12:59 pm #

This seriously happened to me with my niece. I would have gladly explained to her that they were lovers but her mom looked at me with blazing eyes…scary stuff.

• Chibi Jennifer May 24, 2009 at 6:08 pm #

lol…you serious Cycyn??! XD XD

(P.S yay your first comment 8D)

• Brad May 25, 2009 at 1:27 am #

Haha. Just give that finger quotation gesture when you say “cousins”. ;)

Even though I knew the cousin thing was censorship when I first saw S I always got the feeling that “Cous” and “Cousin” was slang for “lesbian”. Kind of like “sister” and “brother” can be slang. Hardcore Moonies should just look at it from this point of view and you’ll find it pretty watchable.

30. Kirin no Rei 77 May 24, 2009 at 7:08 am #

That’s not really ‘gone wrong’…it’s more ‘lost in translation’. :P

I give you example number 2…

….part of me regrets that season 5 was never dubbed. I would have liked to see how they tried to pull that one off…*laughs*

• Chibi Jennifer May 24, 2009 at 7:09 am #

hhaha, yeh that probably makes more sense.. had a bit of trouble coming up with a title for this one ^^;

31. SailorMoonFighter May 24, 2009 at 6:00 am #

ROFLAMO, the dub really messed up i mean lesiban cousins, like that’s true, anyway hilarious

love ya loads
    SailorMoonFighter

32. Elly May 24, 2009 at 1:48 am #

LOL. This is all I can say. Seriously, great job as always!

33. tru0001 May 23, 2009 at 10:08 pm #

I love all your comics keep it up! Make sure to have some dub vs jap cross over happening XD

• Chibi Jennifer May 24, 2009 at 7:11 am #

Sure will do ;) I started Sailor Moon watching the English dub so it gives me fond memories… XD XD XD

34. Da Games Elite May 23, 2009 at 9:14 pm #

YURI!!!! ^_^

What, someone say something?

35. Emma (SC) May 23, 2009 at 1:30 pm #

Yay H&M! Hahaha fantastic! x

36. Queen Eris May 23, 2009 at 1:30 pm #

This is great! :D

37. kressa May 23, 2009 at 7:11 am #

yay :) poor lil girl. i can’t wait when she grows up and mentions it to her mom again XD

• Chibi Jennifer May 23, 2009 at 7:16 am #

lol, we would know who she would blame if she ends up being in love with her own girl cousin, LOL.

• kressa May 23, 2009 at 11:49 am #

mmhmm … and now we know why people are always misinformed.

38. Sailor Sun May 23, 2009 at 4:22 am #

*Haruka* *Michiru*
    Sorry, I always commit such errors hh ^^;

39. Sailor Sun May 23, 2009 at 4:20 am #

I didn’t get it at first..
    But when I read that in English dub they are cousins, I laughed a lot..
    Sailor Moon is never translated into my language, but here, for other programs, they make almost the same (they make lovers friend or brothers ^^;;)
    Yeah, this little girl is clever to notice that Haruca is a girl LOL
    And I love that little bird too…
    Thaaaaanks a lot..
    I was looking forward to see something about Haruka and Michiry^^

• Chibi Jennifer May 23, 2009 at 7:01 am #

Thanks, I’m glad you like it! I remember you requesting one of them before so I hoped you would see it ^_^ And yes! Clever girl~ it’s hard to tell Haruka is even a girl in the picture XD

• Brad May 23, 2009 at 11:01 am #

Wait…. he’s a girl? ;)

• Chibi Jennifer May 24, 2009 at 7:38 am #

You mean.. “She’s a guy?” XD
          I could just imagine the lady (Ms Dub) saying “No, don’t be silly one is a Guy!”
          Then the girls like: “Noo..look closer *points fingers* XD”

• jade June 8, 2009 at 2:27 am #

YEAH,WATCH THE SHOW IF YOU DON’T BELIEVE ME!

• jade June 22, 2009 at 4:25 am #

whats your language?

40. RainStar May 23, 2009 at 1:49 am #

lol I was waiting for the Cousin joke. Gotta love Haruka and Michiru!

41. KTVB May 23, 2009 at 1:17 am #

lol!! cute! and sweet!!

love the little girl (shes a clever one lol) and the little bird on the ground lol

Go Haruka + Michiru <3

• Chibi Jennifer May 23, 2009 at 7:04 am #

ahaha, yay, the birdie gets a mention! It was the last drawing of this piece XD Doesn’t look like a happy bird though, seems to be an old one having trouble walking.

42. M12 May 22, 2009 at 9:54 pm #

Hehe, nice. Way to make fun of SM’s US version :D.

43. senshi of love May 22, 2009 at 7:26 pm #

Phahahhaha LOL But sure they are COUSINS!! With no doubt. ;)

44. jade May 22, 2009 at 11:12 am #

no,they are only cousins in english dubs

• Chibi Jennifer May 22, 2009 at 11:43 am #

This comic is poking fun at the English Dub ^_^

• Sailor Gold Rabbit May 22, 2009 at 12:33 pm #

And therein lies the joke! =D

45. Brad May 22, 2009 at 9:53 am #

Great as always!!!

46. Lord Asriel May 22, 2009 at 9:12 am #

I’m very reluctant to check any Sailor Moon content apart what I’ve already checked, but this is some fine work over here! Good job!

47. NewAgeRetroHippie May 22, 2009 at 9:11 am #

The truth is finally revealed!

48. Dan May 22, 2009 at 9:10 am #

That. Is. Brilliant. :D

49. Travis May 22, 2009 at 7:45 am #

Haha! Perfect Jen, just perfect!

50. Sailor Gold Rabbit May 22, 2009 at 7:44 am #

Awesome! I just knew there was going to be a cousin joke sooner or later! “Oh, so they’re lesbian cousins!” HA!

• Sailor Gold Rabbit May 22, 2009 at 8:14 am #

PS. MoonSticks on a Thursday makes me a happy fan!

• Chibi Jennifer May 22, 2009 at 9:06 am #

Thank you!! Yeh, I just had to make a comment about the “cousinly love” XD

Do you mean you’re happy it’s on a Thursday or you would like it on a Thursday? It’s Friday over here where I am XD

• Brad May 22, 2009 at 9:57 am #

Haha, I get similar comments Chibi (because we’re almost in the same timezones). My Moonie Music Mondays get posted on Mondays but all the people on the other side of the world think I’m posting it on Sunday. :D People seem to forget about timezones. lol

p.s. Sailor Gold Rabbit not picking on you! *hug!* Time difference just always makes me laugh.

• Chibi Jennifer May 22, 2009 at 10:06 am #

yay, same boat XD
            I had a feeling someone was gonna bring that up.. since Aussie time seems to be about 16+ hours faster than in the US, and since I post MoonSticks Comics at 7am on every Aussie Friday, it would appear as a Thursday, lol. hmmm…. maybe “Updated every Friday” is misleading!

• Sailor Gold Rabbit May 22, 2009 at 12:36 pm #

*is hugged* Thank you!

• Sailor Gold Rabbit May 22, 2009 at 12:32 pm #

By that I mean I’m happy it’s on a Thursday! I never realized how far ahead Austrailia is compared to Canada. What’s it like in the future? :)

• Brad May 23, 2009 at 9:17 am #

We should throw in our accents! Fridie! Mondie! ;)

• Brad May 23, 2009 at 11:00 am #

We have flying cars and everything! In fact the world just froze over and we have this cool queen qho rules over us with a crystal-something! ;)

• Sailor Gold Rabbit May 25, 2009 at 9:00 am #

Oh my God, that totally reminds me of this anime I saw once! I think it was called Surfer Satellite or something.

• CyCyN May 24, 2009 at 9:19 am #

AWWWWWWWWWWWwwwwww… I loved this comment Brad!!! HAHAHAHHAhaha!!!!! <3

• Sailor Gold Rabbit May 23, 2009 at 1:12 pm #

PPS. Is it just me, or does the little girl look like Unazuki Furuhata?

• Chibi Jennifer May 23, 2009 at 1:24 pm #

hmm… kinda of.. but it’s all unintentional ^^;; They’re just two randoms I made up, lol.

• jade May 27, 2009 at 7:44 am #